Step 1: Prepare Initial Concept
- Department completes the New Program Initial Concept. The Dean or their designee along with the School/College budget manager (with the assistance of the Provost’s Office, as needed) begins discussion of the New Program Proposal Financial Model.
- Department submits the completed New Program Initial Concept to the Dean. The Dean then presents the New Program Initial Concept to the Dean’s Council for feedback.
- The program sponsors are promptly notified of any initial feedback from the Dean's Council and/or the Provost’s Office with respect to the initial concept.
Step 2: Develop the Proposal
- After receiving feedback, the program sponsors complete the New Program Proposal Template and, working with the School/College Budget Manager (with the assistance of the Provost’s office, as needed), also finalizes the New Program Proposal Financial Model.
- The program proposal is then forwarded to be considered by the Department, EPC, the School/College, APC, and the Faculty Senate. These organizations may review the New Program Proposal Financial Model at their discretion, as well as receive feedback form the Dean or from other sources. The Dean should separately review the proposal in accordance with established school/college policy. At a minimum that review should be sent to both the APC and the Provost’s Office. The EPC, APC and Faculty Senate may, but are not required, to consider the Dean’s recommendation.
- Proposals that have been approved by the Faculty Senate are forwarded by the Faculty Senate to the Provost’s Office. The Faculty Senate should forward all materials, including the New Program Initial Concept, New Program Proposal Template and the New Program Proposal Financial Model.
Step 3: Obtain Provost Approval
- Undergraduate and graduate proposals will be forwarded to Associate Provost for Undergraduate Programs or Associate Provost for Graduate Programs.
- A financial review will be conducted by Associate Provost for Strategy & Finance before the package is presented to the Provost for Approval.
- If changes are required, the Dean or Dean designee, and the department chair, program director, or their designee will be consulted.
- Program to be reviewed and approved by Provost within six weeks of final submission.
Click here to download a printable version of the program proposal process.