I study a wide range of problems in Italian, European and American History, with particular interests in medieval and early modern intellectual history, humanism, migration, republicanism, the history of historical writing and state-building. Current projects include a study of connections between Erasmus and Machiavelli, a study of migrant labor in 15th-century Tuscany, the publication of a secret 16th-century project to reform the Catholic Church, and a study of how three American novelists (Roth, Ellison and Di Donato) portrayed ethnic and racial minorities in their writing.
- Ph. D., University of California-Berkeley, 1989
- M.A., University of California-Berkeley, 1984
- B.A., summa cum laude, Yale University, 1980
- The Routledge History of Italian Americans, co-ed. with Stanislao Pugliese, Routledge, 2018. Italian edition 2019.
- Niccolò Machiavelli, The Prince with Related Documents, Bedford/St Martins, 2d rev. ed., 2016.
- Machiavelli nel Rinascimento italiano, FrancoAngeli, 2015.
- Giannozzo Manetti, Historia Pistoriensis, historical commentary, SISMEL, 2011.
- Anti-Italianism: Essays on a Prejudice, co-ed. with Fred Gardaphé, Palgrave Macmillan, 2010. Italian edition 2019.
- Sacrilege and Redemption in Renaissance Florence: The Case of Antonio Rinaldeschi, co-auth. with Giles Constable, CRRS Toronto, 2d rev. ed., 2008. Italian, Spanish, Russian, Romanian, and Farsi editions.
- Society and Individual in Renaissance Florence, ed., University of California Press, 2002.
- La città dei crucci: fazioni e clientele in uno stato repubblicano del `400. Nuova Toscana Editrice, 2000.
- Florentine Tuscany: Structures and Practices of Power, co-ed. with Andrea Zorzi, Cambridge University Press, 2000. Italian edition 2001.
- Andrew Carnegie Fellow
- Presidential Award, The Columbian Foundation
- Corresponding Fellow: Deputazione di Storia Patria per la Toscana; Societa' Pistoiese di Storia Patria
- Editorial Boards: Annali della storia di Firenze; Biblioteca Erasmiana Europea (Nino Aragno Editore); Bibliotheca Philosophica (Aracne Editrice); Centopassi (Pensa Editore); Diasporic Italy; Firenze University Press; Italian and Italian American Studies (Palgrave Macmillan); Journal of the History of Ideas; Polis; Reti medievali; Romanian Review of Political Science and International Relations; Scritti di storia (Università degli Studi di Milano); Storia e politica
- Founding Director, Charles and Joan Alberto Italian Studies Institute
- Member, Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton
- Harvard University, Villa I Tatti Fellow
- Fulbright Scholar to Italy