Kalani Hettiarachchi earned her Ph.D. in computational-condensed matter Physics from Louisiana State University (LSU) and she held a two-years of postdoctoral position at center for computational technology and Physics at LSU. In recent years, a wide variety of experimental observation & theoretical prediction have found that many phase transition in real materials show complex interesting states that are nontrivial. Studying the origin of exotic quantum phases such as coexistent and inhomogeneous phases, quantum criticality, secondary ordered phases close to quantum critical points are the major initiative of her field of condensed matter physics. Further, computational methods based on the density functional theory to calculate material electronic structure to understand correlation between electronic structure and physical properties and numerical calculations for exactly unsolvable systems that need approximations are of her interests. She loves to teach and inspire her students in science. In addition to her previous years of teaching experiences, she focuses to educate her students by planning and implementing new teaching methodologies to promote interdisciplinary education among her Physics classes.
- Ph.D., Louisiana State University
- M.S., Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway
- B.S., University of Peradeniya, SriLanka
- Kalani Hettiarachchilage, Valéry G. Rousseau, Ka-Ming Tam, Mark Jarrell, Juana Moreno. “Complex phases in the doped two-species bosonic Hubbard Model.” Phys. Rev. B 88, 161101(R) (2013).
- Kalani Hettiarachchilage, Valéry G. Rousseau, Ka-Ming Tam, Mark Jarrell, Juana Moreno, “Phase diagram of the Bose-Hubbard model on a ring-shaped lattice with tunable weak links.” Phys. Rev. A 87, 051607(R) (2013).
- V.G. Rousseau, K. Hettiarachchilage, M. Jarrell, J. Moreno. “Using off-diagonal confinement as a cooling method.” Phys. Rev. A, 82, 063631, (2010).
- Kalani Hettiarachchilage, “Strongly Correlated Ultra-Cold Bosonic Atoms in Optical Lattices.” (2013).
- Kalani Hettiarachchilage, Valéry G. Rousseau, Ka-Ming Tam, Mark Jarrell, Juana Moreno. "Ferromagnetic Phase Separated Region in the Polarized Two-species Bose Hubbard Model." Phys. Rev. B, 90, 205104 (2014).
- VG Rousseau, K Hettiarachchilage, KM Tam, M Jarrell, J Moreno. "Bose-Hubbard Model on a triangular lattice with diamond ring exchange." Phys. Rev. B, 94 (14), 144514 (2016).
- Neel Haldolaarachchige, Leslie Schoop, Mojammel A. Khan, Wenxuan Huang, Huiwen Ji, Kalani Hettiarachchilage, David P. Young. "d-band Derived Superconductivity in the Lanthanum-Iridium System LaIr3." (2017).
- K Hettiarachchilage, C Moore, VG Rousseau, K-M Tam, M Jarrell, J Moreno. "Local Density of the Bose Glass Phase." Phys. Rev. B 94 (14), 144514 (2018).