Bishop Arthur J. Serratelli, S.T.D., S.S.L., D.D., was ordained to the priesthood in St. Peter’s Basilica on December 20, 1968. He completed a Licentiate in Sacred Theology in 1969 from the Pontifical Gregorian University and was then assigned parochial vicar at St. Anthony Parish, Belleville, simultaneously teaching Systematic Theology at Immaculate Conception Seminary. He returned to Rome to earn another Licentiate in Sacred Scripture from the Pontifical Biblical Institute in 1976 and a Doctorate in Sacred Theology from the Gregorian University in 1977.
For the next 25 years, he taught Sacred Scripture and biblical languages at Immaculate Conception Seminary. During that time he also served for three years as Rector of St. Andrew’s College Seminary at Seton Hall University.
His Holiness, Pope St. John Paul II named him a Prelate of Honor in 1998, and, in 2000, appointed him Auxiliary Bishop of Newark and as Titular Bishop of Enera, Algeria, in Northwest Africa. He was ordained bishop on September 8, the Feast of the Birth of Mary. In Newark, he served in various capacities, including Vicar for Ministries, Regional Bishop for Essex County, Vicar General, and Moderator of the Curia.
Four years later, on July 6, 2004, he was installed as Paterson’s seventh bishop at the Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist, Paterson.
Bishop Serratelli has served as the chair, or member, in multiple Vatican appointments, including the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, the International Committee on English in the Liturgy (ICEL), the Vatican’s Vox Clara Commission, the International Dialogue with the Baptist World Alliance, the USCCB on the Committee on Divine Worship, the Sub-Committee for the Review of Scripture Translations, the Committee for the Review of the Catechism, the Committee on Doctrine, the Task Group on Liturgy with Children, the Committee for Women in the Church and Society, the Task Force for the Review of the Lectionary, and the Committee for the Spanish Bible for the Church in America.
- S.T.D. Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome
- S.S.L. Pontifical Biblical Institute, Rome
- S.T.L. Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome
- The Parables of Jesus: Invitations to Grace. Totowa, NJ: Catholic Book Publishing Corp., 2021.
- Scriptural Novena to Saint Joseph. Totowa, NJ: Catholic Book Publishing Corp., 2021.
- From the Cross to the Empty Tomb. Totowa, NJ: Catholic Book Publishing Corp., 2017.
- The Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit. Totowa, NJ: Catholic Book Publishing Corp., 2018.
- Jesus' Last Days. Totowa, NJ: Catholic Book Publishing Corp., 2019.