Dr. Katherine Hinic is an Assistant Professor in the Graduate Department. Her areas of nursing practice and research include maternal-newborn nursing and evidence-based practice. Dr. Hinic has practiced as a maternal-newborn nurse, primary care nurse practitioner, and nurse educator, with a primary focus on women's health and care of childbearing families. Dr. Hinic holds numerous national certifications including Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) from the American Association of College of Nursing, Maternal Newborn Nurse (MNN) from the National Certification Corporation, and Clinical Nurse Educator (CNE) from the National League for Nursing. Her areas of research include health promotion in new mother-infant dyads and evidence-based practice.
Dr. Hinic maintains her clinical practice in research and quality improvement at a nearby medical center. Dr. Hinic teaches across the graduate and undergraduate programs and is passionate about mentoring students as they advance their careers as professional nurses and advanced practice nurses.
- Ph.D., Seton Hall University
- M.S., Rutgers University
- B.S., Rutgers University
- Hinic, K. (2015). The Relationships Among Perceived Stress, Birth Satisfaction, and Breastfeeding Self-Efficacy in Early Postpartum Women.
Select Peer Reviewed Publications
- Hinic, K.A. (2016). Predictors of breastfeeding confidence in the early postpartum period. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecological, & Neonatal Nursing, 45, 649-660. doi: 10.1016/j.jogn.2016.04.010
- Hinic, K.A. (2017). Understanding and promoting birth satisfaction in new mothers. MCN American Journal of Maternal Child Nursing, 42 (4) 210-215. 10.1097/NMC.0000000000000345
- Hinic, K.A. (2021). Evidence-based virtual learning experiences for the clinical nurse leader capstone. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 36 (4), E59-E62. doi: 10.1097/NCQ.0000000000000552
- Hinic, K.A. (2021). Coping with the unexpected in childbirth: a thematic analysis. The Journal of Perinatal Education, 30 (3), 159-167. http://dx.doi.org/10.1891/J-PE-20-00039
- Hinic, K.A., Kowalski, M.K., Holtzman, K., Mobus, K. (2019). The effect of a pet therapy and comparison intervention on anxiety in hospitalized children. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 46 55-61. doi: 10.1016/j.pedn.2019.03.003
- Hinic, K.A., Silverstein, W., Kowalski, M.O. (2017). Professor in residence: an innovative academic-practice partnership. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 48 (12), 552-556. doi: 10.3928/00220124-20171115-06
- Fortier, M. E., Fountain, D.M., Vargas, M., Heelan-Fancher, L., Perron, T., Hinic, K.A., Swan, B.A. (2015). Health Care in the Community: Developing Academic/Practice Partnerships for Care Coordination and Managing Transitions. Nursing Economic$.
- Tripathi, R. & Hinic, K.A. (2021). Best practices to verify ongoing placement of NG or OG tube after initial X-ray confirmation. Worldviews on Evidence-based Nursing, 10.1111/wvn.12507. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1111/wvn.12507
Dr. Hinic was a recipient of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Nurse Faculty Preparation Program grant throughout her doctoral studies. She was recently recognized for outstanding teaching with the Daisy Faculty Award for Teaching Excellence.