As a cultural and developmental psychologist, I am interested in cultural differences and multiculturalism among Easterners, Westerners, and immigrants with regard to their identity development. Over the past several years, I have been involved in many large-scale funded research projects with theoretical, methodological, and applied concentrations. The purpose of my primary research is to understand the complex relationships between cognitive and socio-cultural constructs and how these constructs contribute to social values and identity development between Eastern and Western adolescents and emerging adults. My goal is to build a bridge between socio-cultural and developmental areas of psychology. More specifically, I have conducted multiple studies to re-evaluate cultural perspectives in moral identity; in moral decision-making using an experimental design; in values orientations using interviews; in environmental identity using longitudinal and mixed methods approaches; and in socio-cultural models on English as a second language acquisition.
- Ph.D., Wilfrid Laurier University, 2016
- MA., Wilfrid Laurier University, 2010
- BA., University of Winnipeg, 2008
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles:
^Krettenauer, T., Wang, W., Jia, F., Yao, Y. (in press). "Connectedness with nature and the decline of sustainable behavior in adolescence: A comparison of Canada and China." Journal of Environmental Psychology. (5-year IF= 5.905)
*Medina, V., *Deronda, A., *Ross, N., *Curtin, D., & ^Jia, F. (2019). "Revisiting environmental belief and behavior among ethnic groups in the U.S. "Frontiers in Psychology,10, 629 (5-year IF = 2.749).
^Jia, F., Li, L, & Krettenauer, T. (2019). "Self- and other-evaluative moral emotions in prosocial contexts: A comparison of Chinese and Canadian adolescents." PsyCh Journal. 8, 203-211 (IF= 0.717).
^Jia, F., Krettenauer, T., & Li, L. (2018). Moral identity in cultural context: "Differences between Canadian and Chinese university students." Journal of Moral Education. 48, 247-262 (5-year IF= 1.087)
- ^Soucie, K., ^Jia, F., Zhu, Na., & Pratt, M. W. (2018). "The co-development of generative concern and community involvement pathways in emerging and young adulthood." Developmental Psychology. 54, 1971-1976. (5-year IF= 4.53)
- ^Jia, F. (2017). "Brief data report on prototype of moral personality and environmentalism." Data in Brief. 15, 540-544. (Citescore= .70)
- ^Jia, F., Soucie, K., Alisat, S., Curtin, D*., & Pratt, M. (2017). "Are environmental issues moral issues? Moral identity in relation to protecting the natural world." Journal of Environmental Psychology, 52, 104-113. (5-year IF= 5.905)
- ^Jia, F., & Krettenauer, T. (2017). "Recognizing moral identity as a cultural construct." Frontiers in Psychology. 8, 412. (5-year IF = 2.749)
- ^Gottardo, A., Koh, P. W., Chen, X. & Jia, F. (2017). "Models of English and Chinese word reading for adolescent Chinese-English bilinguals." Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 30, 1377-1406. (5-year IF= 2.616)
- ^Ferreira, A., Gottardo, A., Javier, C*., Schwieter, J. W., & Jia, F. (2016). "Reading comprehension: The role of acculturation, language dominance and socioeconomic status, in cross-linguistic relations." Spanish Journal of Applied Linguistics. 29. 613-639. (IF= .196)
- ^Krettenauer. T., Murua., A., & Jia, F. (2016). "Age-related difference in moral identity across adulthood." Developmental Psychology. 5, 972-984. (5-year IF= 4.535)
- ^Jia, F., Gottardo, A., Chen, X., Koh, P., & Pasquarella, A. (2016). "English proficiency and acculturation among Chinese immigrant youth in Canada: A reciprocal relationship." Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development. 8, 774-782. (5-year IF= 1.273)
- ^Jia, F., Soucie, K. M., Alisat, S., & Pratt, M. W. (2016). "Sowing seeds for future generations: Development of generative concern and its relation to environmental identity." International Journal of Behavioral Development. 40, 466-470. (5-year IF= 2.015)
- ^Jia, F., Gottardo, A., & Ferreira, A. (2017). Socio-Cultural Models of Second Language Learning in Immigrants in Canada. In I. Muenstermann (Ed.). People's Movement in the 21st Century - Risks, Challenges and Benefits. (pp.157-198). doi: 10.5772/66952.
- ^Jia, F., & Wang, Q. (2016). Teaching cultural diversity beyond the classroom. In W. Altman, L. Stein, & J. R. Stowell (Eds.), Essays from Excellence in Teaching. Society for the Teaching of Psychology, 16, 34-38.
(* indicates SHU student authorship; ^ indicates corresponding authorship)
- BMC Psychology (Part of Springer Nature) (2019-present)
- Frontiers for Young Minds (2018-present)
Editorial Board Member:
- Emerging Adulthood (2019-present)
- Journal of Environmental Psychology (2019-present)
- Journal of Moral Education (2017-present)
- Journal of Adolescent and Family Health (2017-2021)
- Frontiers in Psychology (2016-present)