Seton Hall University

Frequently Asked Questions

This page includes some of the common questions and situations that may be encountered by investigators and project directors preparing grant proposals. For more information and details, please see the Principal Investigators Handbook or contact the Office of Grants and Research Services.

How do I find out about grant opportunities? Who is my first point of contact?
There are several online resources available for finding funding opportunities. These are outlined in the Principal Investigator’s Handbook, Chapter 2. A simple google search of your proposed topic and grants as keywords can often work. If you wish to make an appointment to discuss potential opportunities, email the Office of Grants and Research services at

How do I learn how to write a grant?
The best way to learn how to write proposals is to do it. See the PI Handbook, Chapter 3 for details and narratives and Chapter 4 for budgeting. It is a good idea to start small. The Offices of Grants and research Services, Government Relations and Corporate and Foundation Relations all offer proposal writing assistance. OGRS may be able to offer support or attendance at external proposal-writing workshops tied to specific opportunities. General grant writing related workshops are offered periodically at the University. Through the Office of Government Relations, the University contracts with Winning Strategies Washington to assist and support faculty with Federal grant proposals. Faculty and researchers interested in participating in grant writing classes/workshops should contact OGRS for a schedule of upcoming classes/workshops.

Frequently Requested Information: Seton Hall University 
Seton Hall University is a private non-profit educational institution.
The University is tax exempt under Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code

  • Entity Identification Number (EIN):
  • Dun and Bradstreet Number
  • Animal Welfare Assurance Number:
  • Human Subjects Assurance Number:
  • Misconduct in Science Filed:
    March 29, 2017
  • Congressional District (Newark):
    Newark 10th 
  • State Legislative District
    SO Village 27th 
  • Date of the most recent DHHS Facilities and Administration (F&A or Indirect Cost) Agreement
    November 14, 2014

Do all grant applications and proposals have to go through the approval process?  
University policy requires that all grant applications and proposals must go through the usual approval process before it is submitted to a potential sponsor or funding agency.  This is true whether the application or proposal for a grant is submitted to a private funding sponsor, such as a foundation or corporation, a public sponsor, such as a Federal or State agency, or to any other organization, such as a professional association or society.  This is also true whether the application or proposal is a new project, a continuation, a renewal, or a supplement.  The only exceptions are gifts and most fellowship applications.

What is the approval procedure for proposals? 
In order to process an external proposal through the University, you need to obtain the approval signatures of the appropriate administrative offices e.g., department chair and dean on the Approval Form that accompanies the formal proposal through the internal review process. This sheet specifies the level of institutional commitment to the proposed activity and provides evidence of departmental and dean's support. After departmental and collegiate approvals are obtained the application is sent to OGRS for final review and sign-off.

What are my responsibilities as a Principal Investigator (PI)?
A Principal Investigator is the primary individual responsible for the preparation, conduct, and administration of a research grant, cooperative agreement, training or public service project, contract, or other sponsored project in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Additional details are contained in the Principal Investigator’s Handbook, Chapter 1.

Announcement. An announcement is the document provided by a sponsor that outlines requirements for applying for a grant or securing a contract. It is also commonly called an RFP (request for proposal).

AOR (Authorized Organizational Representative). An AOR has the authority to commit the university to a governmental grant application (pre-award) and is responsible to ensure proper management of governmental awards (post award). The AOR is the only university official authorized to submit a Federal grant application. Seton Hall's AOR is Dr. Nicholas H. Snow.

Buyout. Some grants allow a buyout of a faculty member's academic year time. This is the grant paying a portion of the faculty member's base salary (usually in 1-month increments), with the faculty member being reassigned from the duties listed under the Faculty Guide, Article 7 (South Orange Faculty), for that portion of the academic year. Generally, a one-month buyout (including salary, fringe and indirect costs) is equivalent to 3 faculty workload credits (1 course) reassignment. If a buyout is possible or desired, please contact your chair, dean and OGRS as early as possible in the proposal development process, as their approvals are required and they will need to plan to cover the teaching.

Consortium Agreement. A formalized agreement whereby a research project is carried out by the recipient and one or more other organizations that are separate legal entities. Under the agreement, the recipient must perform a substantive role in the conduct of the planned research and not merely serve as a conduit of funds to another party or parties. These agreements typically involve a specific level of effort from the consortium organization's PD/PI and a categorical breakdown of costs, such as personnel, supplies, and other allowable expenses, including F&A costs. The relationship between the recipient and the collaborating organizations is considered a subaward relationship.

Consultant. A consultant is a person external to the university that may provide specialized assistance (usually on a one-time basis) to a project for a set fee. If use of a consultant is desired, please contact OGRS as early in the proposal development process as possible, as the university has strict policies regarding the engagement of consultants and multiple additional approvals may be required.

Contract. A contract is a legally binding agreement between the university and a private sponsor in which the university provides deliverables to the sponsor and the sponsor provides support to the university, usually in the form of funding. All contracts must be approved through both the grant application approval process and the contract approval process.

Cost Sharing. Cost sharing (also called matching funds) is shared cost of a project between the university and the sponsor. Many sponsors require cost sharing, usually stated as a percentage of the total cost of a project. Cost sharing can be either direct (cash) or in-kind (already purchased supplies or equipment or personnel time) and is documented both in the proposal budget and on the cost sharing page of the "Intent to Apply" form.

Direct Costs. Direct costs are easily accounted for costs for performing a project. These include but are not limited to personnel salary and fringe benefits, materials, equipment, supplies, travel, publication costs, consultants, fees and other costs that are directly and easily attributed to a project. Each sponsor has its own rules regarding allowed direct costs and these must be reconciled with university policies, so please work with OGRS on budgeting as early as possible in the proposal development process.

Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOI). A financial conflict of interest exists when the recipient's designated official(s) reasonably determines that an investigator's significant financial interest could directly and significantly affect the design, conduct, or reporting of the PHS-funded research.

Indirect Costs. Indirect costs (also called Facilities and Administrative (F+A) costs are those costs not easily attributed to a specific project. This amount is usually determined as a percentage of the direct cost of a project. Most sponsors have a standard value for this (usually 10-20% of total direct costs for private sponsors) or a percentage of salaries and wages for the Federal Government. Contact OGRS for assistance with determining indirect costs. If indirect costs are allowed by a sponsor, they must be charged at the maximum allowable rate.

Grant Closeout. The process by which the Federal awarding agency or pass-through entity determines that all applicable administrative actions and all required work of the Federal award have been completed and takes actions to ensure that a final progress report and a final financial report have been appropriately reviewed and processed.

Internal Approval. All applications or proposals for external funding require internal university approval on forms provided by OGRS prior to submission. Unless specifically directed otherwise by OGRS, all applications or proposals are submitted through OGRS. Usually internal approval is required by the PI, chair, dean and OGRS. Additional approvals, outlined on the forms, are required for human subjects, animal subjects, special use of IT facilitates, major library acquisitions, cost sharing and buyouts. "Intent to Apply for External Funding" form. This form, available on the OGRS website is the standard form that must be completed and accompany all proposals when submitted to OGRS for approval and submission to a sponsor. No proposal will be submitted without this form.

Fellowship. A fellowship is support provided be an external sponsor directly to a faculty member, usually for work to be conducted away from campus. If the support is provided directly to the faculty member, the Office of Grants and Research Services need not be involved. However, we highly recommend that the faculty member use OGRSs' services to ensure proper documentation of the support and to ensure that all relevant parties (Chair, Dean, Provost) are supportive. If a leave from campus or from teaching is involved, the requirements of Article 6 of the Faculty Guide must be followed in full.

Gift. A gift is support, in the form of funding or in-kind support provided by a sponsor to the university with no requirement that the university provide a deliverable to the sponsor other than the stewardship reports provided by University Advancement. All gifts are processed through University Advancement.

Grant. A grant is a contractual agreement between the university and a governmental or private sponsor in which the university provides services such as research, training, a report or other deliverables and the sponsor provides funding or other support for the activity. All proposed grants must be approved through the university's approval process prior to submission of the application to the sponsor.

In-kind. An in-kind contribution is a non-cash cost for a project. In-kind contributions are most often documented when cost sharing is required. A typical example is a faculty member may choose to devote a portion of their university-funded research time to a project. The cost of this time may be considered as an in-kind contribution. Another common example is that a dean may provide a 1-course reassignment for a project that only provides funds for an adjunct replacement. The difference between the cost of 1-month of the faculty member's total compensation and the adjunct's total compensation may be considered an in-kind contribution. Each sponsor has different policies regarding in-kind contributions, so contact OGRS for assistance with this as early as possible. In-kind contributions are documents on the cost sharing page of the "Intent to Apply" form. In-kind may also refer to a non-cash gift to the university.

Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). The PHS Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals incorporates the U.S. Government Principles for the Utilization and Care of Vertebrate Animals used in Testing, Research, and Training, and requires the grantee to maintain an animal care and use program based on the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals. An Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) appointed by the Chief Executive Officer or designee, is federally mandated to oversee the institution's animal program, facilities, and procedures (Public Law 99-158, Sec. 495). IACUC review and approval is required for all PHS supported activities involving live vertebrate animals prior to funding.

Institutional Review Board (IRB). An administrative body established to protect the rights and welfare of human research subjects recruited to participate in research activities conducted under the auspices of the organization with which it is affiliated. The Institutional Review Board has the authority to approve, require modifications in, or disapprove all research activities that fall within its jurisdiction.

No-Cost Time Extension. An extension of time to a project period and/or budget period to complete the work of the grant under that period, without additional Federal funds or competition. For Federal awards, OGRS is generally authorized to grant a first extension without requesting approval from the sponsor. Additional extensions require approval by the sponsor. No cost extensions must be requested prior to the end date of the grant. Private sponsors each have their own rules regarding no-cost extensions.

Notice of Grant Award. The official, legally binding document, signed (or the electronic equivalent of signature) by a Grants Management Officer that:

  1. notifies the recipient of the award of a grant;
  2. contains or references all the terms and conditions of the grant and Federal funding limits and obligations; and,
  3. provides the documentary basis for recording the obligation of Federal funds in the agency's accounting system.

PI (Principal Investigator). The PI (sometimes called Project Director) is the leader of a grant or contract funded project. The PI is responsible for all fiscal and technical management of the project. Projects may have multiple PIs (co-PIs), but one PI will be designated as the lead or contact PI for fiscal and management purposes. ‘

Prior Approval (from sponsor). Written approval by an authorized official of the sponsoring agency, evidencing prior consent before a recipient undertakes certain activities or incurs specific costs. Activities such as second no-cost extension requests, changes in senior personnel, changes to the scope of work, changes to time and effort and international travel generally require prior approval. Approval must be requested through OGRS.

Progress Report. Periodic, often annual, report submitted by the grantee and used by the sponsoring agency to assess progress and, except for the final progress report of a project period, to determine whether to provide funding for the budget period subsequent to that covered by the report.

Research Misconduct. Fabrication, falsification, or plagiarism in proposing, performing, or reporting research, or in reporting research results.

  • Fabrication is making up data or results and recording or reporting them.
  • Falsification is manipulating research materials, equipment, or processes, or changing or omitting data or results such that research is not accurately represented in the research record.
  • Plagiarism is the appropriation of another person's ideas, processes, results, or words without giving appropriate credit.
  • Research misconduct does not include honest error or honest differences of opinion.

RFP (Request for Proposals). An RFP is a document provided by a sponsor that defines the requirements for submitting a proposal or proposing a contract. Faculty who locate an RFP and wish to respond to it should contact OGRS as soon as possible and provide a copy. OGRS work with you to ensure that all requirements of the RFP are met in the submission.

Senior/Key Personnel. The PD/PI and other individuals who contribute to the scientific development or execution of a project in a substantive, measurable way, whether or not they receive salaries or compensation under the grant. Typically, these individuals have doctoral or other professional degrees, although individuals at the masters or baccalaureate level may be considered senior/key personnel if their involvement meets this definition. Consultants and those with a postdoctoral role also may be considered senior/key personnel if they meet this definition. Senior/key personnel must devote measurable effort to the project whether or not salaries or compensation are requested.

Time and Effort. For all grant supported projects, the effort required to complete the project must be commensurate with the personnel and time allotted to it. This is one of the most scrutinized aspects of a proposal – can the personnel actually do the proposed work in the time and for the funds requested, or are the time and funds too much? If a proposal is funded, the university is required to maintain detailed time and effort records to ensure that the funds are used according to what was proposed. The Office of Grants Accounting manages time and effort reporting. PIs may be requested to complete a time and effort record for this purpose. Accurate reporting of time and effort is a critical responsibility of PIs.

Uniform Guidance. Uniform Guidance is the regulations and guidelines by which all Federal grants and contracts are fiscally managed, and increasingly, for state, local and private sponsors are well – many are aligning with the Federal government. The university must manage all of its grants in accordance with Uniform Guidance. There is extensive information about Uniform Guidance on the "policies and forms" page of the Office of Research website.

Who is the SHU official authorized to sign proposals for the University?
The Director of the Office of Grants & Research Services is authorized to sign proposals for the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Director's name and title should be entered on all proposal cover sheets and proposal certification forms as the Authorized Institutional Official:

Nicholas H. Snow, Ph.D. 
Interim Director of Grants and Research Services
Seton Hall University
Presidents Hall
400 South Orange Avenue
South Orange, NJ 07079

What is the official mailing address to be shown on proposals for Seton Hall University? 
Seton Hall University
Office of Grants & Research Services
Presidents Hall
400 South Orange Avenue
South Orange, NJ 07079
Ph. (973) 275-2974
Fax. (973) 275-2978

How does the University define a gift, and how do fellowships differ from grants?
Gifts to the University of an unrestricted nature, or those restricted to general or generic program use, which do not include any quid pro quo conditions, are not subject to the endorsement process. A gift is defined as an asset conveyed to the University for which there is no consideration or obligation of performance, and for which the donor has no means of enforcement beyond revocation of the gift in the event that the University fails to honor the covenants under which the asset was bestowed. Gifts from corporations and foundations are handled by the Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations. 

Fellowships are awards made to individual applicants from sponsors like the Rockefeller Foundation, the American Council of Learned Societies, and the Social Sciences Research Council. The applicant therefore is an individual and not Seton Hall University. Fellowship applications do not normally go through the approval process; however, in a few cases sponsors choose to award fellowship funds to the University on behalf of a faculty member. In these cases, the University is the applicant and the application must go through the approval process.

What is the Cognizant Audit Agency? 
Our cognizant agency is the federal agency with which we negotiate our F&A or indirect costs and fringe benefit rate agreements.

US Department of Health & Human Services

What is the Summer Research Grant process?
SHU’s University Research Council (URC) coordinates and administers the Summer Research Grant competition each year. The URC was established to foster faculty research and to promote faculty development activities, including the identification of priorities and programs which shall provide opportunities for faculty growth and renewal. Each year this faculty committee, with administrative support provided by the Office of Grants and Research Services on behalf of the Provost's Office conducts an awards competition for research-expense grants and summer stipends in accord with guidelines approved by the University. Specific information about the application process can found on the URC webpage

What is the role of the chair and dean in the grants, corps, foundation process?
The Principal Investigator’s Department Chair and Dean are responsible for approving the grant application of the Principal Investigator prior to the application being submitted to the funding sponsor. Their approval is documented by their signature on the Intent to Apply for External Funding Form. The Dean is also responsible for the approval of any release time being requested by the Principal Investigator.

What is SHU's record in the last three years for external funding?
Over the past three years, the University has obtained about $7.5 Million per year in external grants and contracts.

What is the difference between a grant and a gift?
A grant is a contractual relationship between the university and a sponsor. Grants involve some kind of deliverable that may be a simple as a report or publication or as complex as an actual product or dataset. Gifts generally do not require the PI to provide a deliverable other than the standard donor stewardship. The final determination as to whether funding is in the form of a grant or a gift is made jointly by the Offices of Grants and Research Services and Corporate and Foundation Relations.

What is the difference between a grant and a contract? 
A grant is a form of a contract between the university and a sponsor. The sponsor provides funding to the university and the university provides a deliverable or deliverables to the sponsor. All grant applications and contracts require approval by the appropriate university offices. Governmental proposals and sub-award contacts must be approved by the Office of Grants and Research Services. Private grant applications may be approved by either the Office of Grants and Research Services or the Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations. Private contracts, whether resulting from an approved grant application or not, must be approved through the Office of Business Affairs and the "Green Folder" process. OGRS can facilitate this process. Remember that all grants and contracts are executed between the university and the sponsor. Faculty, deans and administrators are not authorized to sign and submit grant proposals or contracts. Please contact OGRS for assistance with any matters related to grant applications, proposals or contracts.

What is cost sharing or matching? 
The Federal Government defines cost sharing as "that portion of the project or program costs not borne by the Federal Government."  In other words, cost sharing on a proposal is the amount of cash, in-kind support (e.g. department paid salaries), or any other support the University promises to commit to the proposed project.  Cost sharing may also include third party support on a budget (e.g. funding from another external grant).

There are several agencies that require cost sharing commitments on grants and it is important to show cost sharing in these instances.  It is important to be as accurate as possible on all cost sharing commitments.  When a grant is awarded with a cost shared budget, the cost sharing becomes a condition of the grant and the University is held accountable for the management and tracking of the cost sharing portion of the project.  Therefore, we recommend including cost sharing in a proposal only when the funding agency requires cost sharing.

*Note - If your budget includes cost sharing, you must complete and submit the cost sharing form page 3 of the Approval Form to the Office of Grants & Research Services.  Please also note that course release (workload buyout) and student tuition are also examples of cost sharing that require authorization.  Please discuss any questions concerning cost sharing with OGRS staff. 

How should I proceed if an agency does not allow F&A costs charged in a proposal budget? 
Seton Hall University has a federally negotiated F&A cost agreement with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.  Therefore, Federal agencies honor our F&A cost rate charges on grants and proposals.  This is a common practice for most universities that receive Federal grant funding.  Most New Jersey agencies do not pay F&A costs.  You should check with the agency to confirm its F&A policy.

Often, certain private foundations or companies will not allow F&A costs on a proposal or award.  In this case, the Principal Investigator will need to obtain either a copy of the guidelines noting the exclusion of F&A costs or a statement from the funding agency.

When a sponsor will only allow a reduced F&A costs rate (e.g. 8%), that rate should be charged against the TDC or Total Direct Costs.  The TDC will include all costs in the budget, with no exclusions.  For example, if the direct costs are $100,000 and the sponsor allows 8% of F&A costs rate, the F&A costs are $8,000 ($100,000 x 8%), and the total request cost (direct and F&A costs) is $108,000 ($100,000 + $8,000).

How do I prepare a contract for providing services?
All contracts must go through the university's contract review process through business affairs. To initiate this process for a contract in which services are provided by a PI, or group of PIs or university entity, complete a "green folder" and include the following:

  1. A copy of the contract (the general counsel will request an editable MS-Word version as well)
  2. A completed "intent to apply for external funding" form
  3. A completed contract checklist (provided by business affairs)
  4. A cover memo briefly explaining the project
  5. An proposed expense budget (for internal use only) to ensure proper accounting of the funds, when received OGRS will review and then route the contract to business affairs for approval and ultimately for signature. Please allow several weeks for legal and business affairs review of any proposed contract.

How do I calculate F&A or Facilities and Administrative (Indirect) Costs?
When creating a proposal budget, F&A costs are calculated as a percentage of the salaries and wages included in the personnel costs on the budget. Effective July 1, 2014 through June 30, 2018, the indirect cost rate is 59% of all salaries and wages for on campus projects and 30% of all salaries and wages for off-campus projects.

What are the current fringe benefits?
The FY 2018 rate will be effective July 1, 2017 and is applicable to all projects.  

Fringe Benefit Rate Table

Account Description FY 2019 Rate
6111 Faculty Salaries - Full Time 41.2%
6112 Faculty Salaries - Full Time - Law School 33.0%
6121 Faculty Summer Salaries - Full Time 9.0%
6122 Faculty Salary Overload 9.0%
6124 Faculty Stipends 9.0%
6131 Faculty Salary Unallocated Budget  41.2%
6133 Faculty Contributed Service 9.0%
6141 Adjunct Faculty Salaries 9.0%
6142 Adjunct Faculty Summer - Part Time 9.0%
6211 Administrative Salaries - Full Time 41.2%
6212 Administrative Salaries - Part Time - Without Benefits 9.0%
6213 Administrative Salaries - Part Time - With Benefits 41.2%
6214 Administrative Supplemental 9.0%
6215 Automobile Allowance 9.0%
6221 Administrative Bi-Weekly Pay  41.2%
6224 Administrative Bi-Weekly Overtime  9.0%
6231 Coaching Salaries - Full Time 41.2%
6232 Coaching Salaries - Part Time - Without Benefits 9.0%
6233 Coaching Salaries - Part Time - With Benefits 41.2%
6234 Coaching - Bonuses 9.0%
6254 Administrative Contributed Service  9.0%
6258 Unallocated Administrative Salary Budget  41.2%
6311 Staff Salaries - Full Time 41.2%
6312 Staff Salaries - Part Time - Without Benefits 9.0%
6313 Staff Salaries - Part Time - With Benefits 41.2%
6314 Staff Overtime 9.0%
6315 Temporary Staff - Full Time and Part Time 9.0%
6318 Staff Supplemental 9.0%
6341 Paraprof. Salaries - Full Time 41.2%
6342 Paraprof. Salaries - Part Time - Without Benefits 9.0%
6343 Paraprof. Salaries - Part Time -With Benefits 41.2%
6344 Paraprof. Salaries - Overtime  9.0%
6361 Maintenance Salaries - Full Time 41.2%
6363 Maintenance Salaries - Part Time - With Benefits 41.2%
6364 Maintenance Overtime 41.2%
6365 Temporary Maintenance - Full Time and Part Time 41.2%
6511 Student Salaries - Hourly 0.0%
6513 Undergraduate Stipend 0.0%
6514 Undergraduate Summer Stipend 0.0%
6531 Graduate Assistant Stipend 0.0%
6532 Graduate Assistant Tuition Remission  0.0%
6533 Graduate Stipend  0.0%
6534 Graduate Salaries - Hourly  0.0%
6541 Postdoctoral Fellows 41.2%

What are indirect costs for research grants?
Indirect Costs in research grants are the ancillary costs associated with supporting research projects at the University (e.g. lab space/facilities, utilities, library services, purchasing department, etc.), but that cannot be budgeted as direct costs on grant applications. SHU has a federally-approved indirect cost rate, which must be used in all federal grant application, unless the funding opportunity guidelines for a specific grant states that a different indirect costs must be used. Details can be found in the PI Handbook, Chapter 4.

What if I am asking for release time in my grant? How is that approved? How do we account for that in the institutional contribution? 1/6, 1/8 of salary? adjunct replacement?
Release time for a faculty member must be approved by the faculty member’s Dean prior to the submission of the grant application to the sponsor. Approval of the Dean is documented when the Dean signs the Cost Sharing page of the Intent to Apply for External Funding form. One 3-credit course buy-out is the equivalent 1/9 of salary for a faculty members on 9 month appointment. For faculty with 12 month appointments, a course buy-out is equivalent to 1/12 of salary. In both cases, fringe benefits and indirect cost recovery must be accounted for as well. Details can be found in Chapter 4 of the Principal Investigator’s Handbook. Please allow extra time for approval of release time and work closely with OGRS in advance on the budget if release time is requested.

How should I proceed if another organization (university or other) wants to include me (an SHU Faculty Member) as a Co-Principal Investigator on a grant? 
When researchers from Seton Hall University are featured as Co-Principal Investigators on another institution's proposal, the primary organization or institution submitting the proposal to the agency, usually issues a subcontract to Seton Hall when the grant is awarded. Therefore it is necessary to have documentation on file in the Office of Grants & Research Services in the event of an award. In preparation for such an event, the Seton Hall researcher will need to submit a statement of work, a budget and a signed Approval Form to the Office of Grants & Research Services. This must be accomplished before the final proposal documents are sent to the submitting institution.

How should I proceed if I need to issue a subcontract from my grant award to another institution?
When you are ready for Seton Hall University to issue a subcontract from your grant to another agency you will need to use the following guidelines:


When a subcontract is issued from a grant awarded to Seton Hall, the Principal Investigator should initiate the subcontracting process by contacting the Office of Grants & Research Services. The following documentation is required before a subcontract can be issued to the subcontractee (e.g. a university or agency):

  1. A subcontractor letter of commitment (from the subcontractee or agency)

  2. Subcontractor Statement of Work (from the subcontractee)

  3. Subcontractor Budget (approved and signed by the subcontractee's organization)

  4. Subcontractor Period of Performance

  5. Subcontractor Project Director and Address

Please contact the Office of Grants & Research Services at extension 2974 if you need additional information.

Who is Winning Strategies Washington? What can they do for me? How do I enlist their support?
Winning Strategies is a Washington DC based consulting and lobbying firm that can assist the SHU community with identifying funding opportunities, assist with editing project narratives, arrange meetings/calls with Program Officers of relevant federal agencies that offer funding opportunities, and securing Congressional letters of support. Support from Winning Strategies is enlisted through the Office of Government Relations.

If a proposal requires a data management plan or data that muse be secured according to specific requirements, how is this managed?
If a data management plan is required, the University Libraries provide several means depending on the specific requirements of the sponsor. Usually, this will involve depositing data for open access in the e-repository that is already in use campus-wide for publications and dissertations. If the opposite is required and data must be secured, the university is prepared to manage the data to the NIST 800-171 standard required by the Federal government. In either case, please ensure that OGRS is informed of the need for a data management plan as early on in the process as possible. Statements regarding data management plans will require extra time to prepare.

How is the IRB involved in grant proposal submissions?
Proposals including research involving human subjects should be discussed with the IRB prior to submission. While IRB approval is usually not required for submission, it will be required prior to the sponsor releasing funds. Failure or delay in obtaining IRB approval can cause the sponsor to retract funds for an approval grant. Be advised that final IRB approval can require 2-3 months if corrections tot eh protocol are required. Seton Hall University's Institutional Review Board for Human Subjects Research (IRB) has been established in accordance with federal regulation. The IRB reviews all proposed research involving human subjects in order to ensure that subjects' rights and welfare are adequately protected. The University's IRB Office is administered and empowered through the Office of the Provost. The IRB is comprised primarily of faculty members from disciplines that conduct research involving human subjects (i.e., nursing, allied health fields, education, psychology, sociology, etc.). Community representatives who have no formal ties to the University also sit on the IRB. Additional information about the IRB can be found on the IRB webpage.

Who is responsible for the actual submission (pushing the button or mailing) of a grant?
For all governmental submissions, OGRS is the only office authorized to submit a proposal. For corporate or foundation submissions, OGRS or Corporate and Foundation Relations may submit proposals.

What happens when a proposal is awarded?
All award documentation is recorded by the Office of Grants & Research Services and forwarded for account creation and maintenance. Most award documents will be forwarded to the Grants Accounting Office. However,some researchers may personally receive the documentation therefore it is important that all grant documentation (award letter, checks or other correspondence) are submitted to the Office of Grants & Research Services for review and processing. When all documentation for an award is received, it will be shared with the Grants Accounting Office, which will then set up a grant account for the Principal Investigator.

How/when does the College Budget Director get involved in accounting for grants or other sources?
Each College/School at the University develops their own procedures for how/when their Budget Director becomes involved with accounting and financial matters related to grant funding. Please consult with the Dean’s Office at your particular College/School for specific procedures.

What SHU financial units are involved in accounting of funds?
The Office of Grants Accounting (within the Division of Finance) is the financial office within the University responsible for the accounting for grant funds. Among other things, the Office of Grants Accounting prepares and submits financial expenditure reports to grant sponsors.

Once a grant is awarded, how is the PI oriented to his/her responsibilities?
Upon the awarding of a grant, the PI should meet with OGRS and with Grants Accounting to go over the specific responsibilities and requirements for technical and fiscal reporting, respectfully. OGRS should initiate these meetings, but the PI should in any event.

Who is responsible for ensuring that all protocols are followed, all timelines for reporting are met, etc?
Ultimately the PI bears responsibility for ensuring that timelines are met and protocols are followed. As the project progresses, Grants Accounting reminds PIs in advance of fiscal deadlines for use of funds and closeout. When these reminders are received, this is a good time to ensure that technical requirements are being met. For most Federal grants, the government will send notices if a grant is out of compliance and there is usually an opportunity to become compliant without penalty. Failure to file timely technical reports can result in the PI being deemed ineligible for future awards by the sponsor. If the project involves protocols for human subjects, animal subjects, radiation or lab safety, the PI is responsible and will be held accountable if the protocols are not followed. These are monitored by the relevant University bodies.