Skip to Content
Seton Hall University

International Graduate Applicants

Seton Hall welcomes applications from international students for admission into full-time graduate degree programs. The Office of International Programs (OIP) provides counseling and support for all student visa and immigration issues, and also assists international students in becoming active members of the University and surrounding community. OIP offers a variety of services and social/cultural activities for this purpose.

International applicants are advised of the following requirements.

  • An original transcript, or original transcripts, pertaining to all previous study and/or academic credentials earned must be submitted to the University by the issuing agency or institution. All credentials in languages other than English must be accompanied by certified English translations.

    Academic transcripts from institutions outside of the United States or Canada must undergo a course-by-course evaluation conducted by an independent credentials evaluation agency. These agencies must be members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).

    Applicants are free to select any NACES member. While the University does not endorse any specific NACES member, Seton Hall has worked with World Educational Services, a non-profit organization that provides research about international education and trends and offers expert credential evaluation services.

    The evaluation process can be lengthy. Therefore, we encourage all international applicants to begin this process well in advance of their application deadline to ensure timely receipt and review of all documents.

  • Students attending U.S. schools abroad or international schools following a U.S. or Canadian curriculum abroad, as well as partner or feeder schools, do not need to submit a credential evaluation; other exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis. However if the credential evaluation is not waived by the Admissions Office, you must submit one. If you do not, your application for admission cannot be reviewed. If you have questions or would like to know if you can receive a waiver, please contact

  • All applicants whose first language is not English, including those currently enrolled in US institutions, must present evidence of their ability to successfully conduct and complete their studies in English. Qualifying applicants must take, and submit official scores attained on, either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

    Students who have received instruction in English in their primary and secondary schools, and who have been in the United States for four years or longer and have received a degree from an American institution, may be eligible for a waiver of the English proficiency exam requirement. In such cases, prospective students are required to submit a written request to the department or program to which they are applying.

  • Official scores attained on the appropriate standardized entrance examination, as required by the department or program to which you are applying, must be submitted to Seton Hall University's Office of Graduate Admissions by the issuing test agency.

  • Letters of reference, as required by the department or program to which you are applying, must be submitted to Seton Hall University's Office of Graduate Admissions.

Student Visas

International students requiring a student visa will also need to submit additional documents which are required by the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The Office of International Programs (OIP) will review these documents and determine if they are sufficient to issue an I-20 form. An I-20 form is used to apply for an F-1 student visa. Prospective international students may anticipate receiving communication from the University to prompt them to start the I-20 process at the time that the prospective student applies to Seton Hall.

The documentation necessary for an I-20 includes the following requirements.

  • Application for form I-20.
  • Financial support form and financial documents.
  • Copy of passport.
  • Students currently studying in the United States on an F1 visa must also fill out the Transfer of Visa Sponsorship Form and have their current institution transfer their SEVIS record to Seton Hall.

All international students are required to enroll full-time (defined as being at least 9 credits for graduate students) per semester and comply with all other requirements of maintaining visa status. It is the responsibility of each international student to familiarize himself or herself with, and abide by, immigration regulations. The OIP serves to counsel students on these issues as well as report immigration matters to DHS through SEVIS (the federal immigration database).

Questions about initial I-20 issuance or maintaining visa status should be directed to the Office of International Programs, which is located in Presidents Hall, Room 9 (lower level). Prospective and current international students may also contact OIP by e-mail at, or by phone at (973) 761-9072. Additional information on immigration regulations and details about visa status, including documents required for I-20 issuance, are available on the Office of International Programs website.

No documents submitted as part of the application process will be returned, nor will any requests to duplicate documents be honored.

Back to top