All faculty, administrators, staff, and students were invited to attend and participate in the Inclusion Speakers Series – a series of dialogues which included an examination of the factors that promote inclusion and influence student success. Attendees were expected to engage in self-reflection to ensure that everything we do in our SHU community advances dignity and eliminates bias.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Retreat
On July 17, 2020, the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) Committee hosted its first retreat. The four-hour retreat was a success, as members partnered with 46 colleagues across campus to discuss the Strategic Plan, challenging topics, and possible solutions. The retreat allowed time for invaluable self-reflection and held informative break-out sessions on increasing cultural competency and building strong partnerships and collaboration.
Fall Symposium on Faith and Racism (September 21-24, 8-10 p.m.)
Details coming soon!
- Mr. Michael Silvestro (Associate Vice President, Department of Human Resources)
- Ms. Stephanie Macias-Arlington (Manager Training & Organizational Development, Department of Human Resources)
- Msgr. Anthony Ziccardi, Ph.D. (Vice President for Mission and Ministry; Secretary Designee to the Board of Regents)
- Mr. Jerry Kang, J.D., serves as UCLA's Vice Chancellor for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. In addition to his Vice Chancellor role, Kang is a Distinguished Professor of Law at UCLA School of Law, Professor of Asian American Studies (by courtesy) at UCLA, and the inaugural Korea Times-Hankook Ilbo Chair in Korean American Studies and Law. Vice Chancellor Kang's teaching and research interests include civil procedure, race and communications. His presentation "Taking Implicit Bias Seriously" surveyed the social science of implicit biases and stereotype threat with emphasis on real-world consequences and included potential strategies that respond to these implicit social cognitions and produce greater awareness of biases and threats, and how to counter them within our institutions. (January 31, 2020).
- Mr. Freddy García, Regional Director for Diversity, Inclusion, & Community Engagement for Westchester Medical Center Health Network, shared his personal experience as a college student and then as a leader of diversity and inclusion initiatives in his presentation "Leading From Within: Diversity and Inclusion in College and Beyond" (October 30, 2019).
- Mr. James E. Wright, PHR, SHRM-CP, CDR, is a former senior leader of inclusion and diversity units at Apple Inc., LinkedIn, and NBC Universal. Mr. Wright, the opening speaker for 2019-2020, presented The Hidden Brain: The Power of the Unconscious Bias in the Workplace. Please access the following links to Language of Inclusion guide. The Language of Inclusion is a glossary that includes over 135 key terms and standard definitions to help organizations find a common language to Inclusion (September 23, 2019). (passcode: setonhall), , and
- Dr. Mary Hinton, president of the College of St. Benedict, a Catholic liberal arts college for women in Minnesota. Hinton, who earned her Ph.D. in religion and religious education from Fordham University, is a distinguished speaker about diversity and inclusion and brings a higher-education perspective to this important topic. Her scholarship focuses on African American religious history; religious education; and leadership, strategic planning, assessment, and diversity (March 29, 2019)
- Dr. Katrice Albert serves as the executive vice president of inclusion and human resources for the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). In this role, she leads efforts to enhance diversity, inclusion, leadership development, and community engagement so that each of the 500,000 student-athletes across the country may have equitable experiences in the classroom and in competition (February 25, 2019)
- Mrs. Cristina Santos, Head of Inclusion & Diversity and EEO North America, Sanofi, is a nationally recognized leader in diversity, inclusion, and equality (January 8, 2019)
- Mr. Reginald F. Butler is a widely recognized motivational speaker, consultant, and educator (September 13, 2018).