Co-curricular Activities 2013-14
Center for Catholic Studies Program 2013-14
Including the Bernard J. Lonergan Institute, the G.K. Chesterton Institute for Faith & Culture, and the Micah Institute for Business and Economics
--in association with The Celtic Theatre--
- May 6
Advanced Seminar on Mission, Praxis Program - Summer Workshop 1, with Center for Vocation and Servant Leadership
- May 20, 21, 22
Annual Faculty Summer Seminar, "Transforming Conflict Through Insight", with Prof. Ken Melchin, St. Paul University, Ottawa. Bernard J. Lonergan Institute Webinar Series Lonergan on Economics , "Analyzing the Socio-Economic Development of the Basque Country: Some Promising Directions and Further Questions".
- May 24
G.K. Chesterton Institute – Guest Lecture on "Chesterton and Distributism" by Fr. Ian Boyd and Prof. Dermot Quinn, Rome, Italy, co-sponsored with La Civita Cattolica, Bomba Carta and Rubettino Publishers.
- May 27
G.K. Chesterton Institute - Guest Lecture on "Chesterton and Distributism" by Fr. Ian Boyd and Prof. Dermot Quinn, University of Malta.
- June 13
Center for Catholic Studies Guest Lecture: "A Conversation with Prof. Neil Ormerod", Australian Catholic University.
- June 20-27
Sponsored 3 faculty members who attended the annual Collegium, A Colloquy on Faith and Intellectual Life, College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, MA.
- August 18
Advanced Seminar on Mission, Praxis Program Summer Workshop 2, with Center for Vocation and Servant Leadership
- January 4
Msgr. Richard Liddy Guest Lecture, Ave Maria University: "Method in Theology and in Business."
- January 28
G.K. Chesterton Institute- Guest Lecture for Department of Catholic Studies, "G.K. Chesterton and Distributism",by Fr. Ian Boyd.
- Spring semester and Spring Break 2014: March 8 - 15, 2014
Study Abroad course/trip: Foundations of Christian Culture: Rome, 3 credits, 19 students, sponsored for the Department of Catholic Studies.
- March 27
William J. Toth Endowed Visiting Professorship guest lecture, "Seeking and Dwelling: A Study of Four Spiritual Journeys," by Prof. Michael McCarthy, Vassar College
- March 29
G.K. Chesterton Institute Program on Chesterton's Canonization, London, England, co-sponsored with Chesterton In the Chilterns, Prof. Dermot Quinn, speaker
- April 1
Dramatic reading of J. H. Newman's "A Parting of Friends" by Professor James McGlone, SHU, and commentary.
- April 3
Guest Lecture: "Newman and the Idea of Sanctity," by Edward Short, author, and commentary.
- April 9
Bernard J. Lonergan Institute Webinar Series Lonergan on Economics, "Cosmopolis and Economy: Toward a Critical Human Science of Macroeconomics."
Ongoing Faculty Seminars facilitated by Msgr. Richard Liddy, sponsored by the Center for Vocation and Servant Leadership
- The University Seminar on Mission: Msgr. Richard Liddy facilitating, Jan. 27; Feb. 3, 10, 24; March 3, 17, 24.
- Advanced University Seminar on Mission: PraxisProgram, "GEM Fellows" , Cohort 2: January 31, Feb. 14 and 28, March 21and April 4, co-sponsored with the Center for Catholic Studies.
Ongoing throughout Semester:
- Co-sponsorship of lectures series, the Department of Catholic Studies.
- Guest lectures by Msgr. Richard Liddy in undergraduate classes of Stillman School of Business Professors Yoon, Cordo and McCarthy, on "Business in a Catholic University."
- Bernard Lonergan Insight Reading Group.
- Woodstock Business Conference/Seton Hall Chapter monthly meetings, January - May.
- Catholic Health East Leadership Ministry Academy program for health care professionals, Cohort 2, with SHU Faculty, February 18,19 and June 10-11.
- Micah Seminars for Business Leadership Students, Stillman School of Business, undergraduate sessions.
Faculty Seminars facilitated by Msgr. Richard Liddy, sponsored by the Center for Vocation and Servant Leadership
- Integrating Wisdom: Advanced Seminar on Mission Series, Sept. 26, Oct.10 and 24, Nov. 7 and 21 - led by Msgr. Richard Liddy
- The University Seminar on Mission: Oct. 2 and Nov 6, led by Msgr. Richard Liddy
- Praxis Pilot Program, co-sponsors: ongoing implementation and peer support groups throughout Fall semester.
- September 26
GK Chesterton Institute lecture: The Daily Chesterton - Chesterton at the Daily News, with Fr. Ian Boyd and Dale Ahlquist, co-sponsored with the American Bible Society.
- October 19
GK Chesterton Institute Conference: Newman and Chesterton in Paris, France
- November 9
GK Chesterton Institute Conference: Chesterton: The Legendary Teacher in Salem, Oregon
Ongoing throughout Semester
- Bernard J. Lonergan Institute: Reading Insight, Faculty reading group, meets twice monthly.
- Lectures co-sponsored with the Department of Catholic Studies.
- Woodstock Business Conference/Seton Hall Chapter monthly meetings, Sept - May
- Catholic Health East Leadership Ministry Academy program for health care professionals
- Micah Stillman Seminars for Business Leadership Students, Stillman School of Business, graduate sessions.
First Thursday of each month
- Spanish Mass - 12:30 p.m. in Boland Hall Chapel - co-sponsored with Campus Ministry.
- May 20
GK Chesterton Institute guest lecture by Fr. Ian Ker, "Chesterton and Humor."
- May 21 - 23
Annual Faculty Summer Seminar - "Newman's Idea of the University Today", with Kevin Mongrain Ph.D.
- May 24 - 26
Fr. Ian Boyd Lecture: "C. S. Lewis & G. K. Chesterton: Kindred Spirits in influence and parallels", at the Sixth Annual C. S. Lewis Symposium, Inklings Germany; Bischofliche Akademie des Bistums Aachen, Aachen, Germany
- June 2 - 8
Faculty Retreat in Rome, co-sponsored with the Center for Vocation and Servant Leadership, at the Lay Centre at Foyer Unitas
- June 28 - 29
Bernard Lonergan Institute International Conference at the Catholic Chaplaincy, Oxford University, co-sponsored with the Maryvale Institute, Birmingham, UK.
- July 23-28
World Youth Day, Brasil, sponsoring student scholarships
- July 22, - August 1
"Value Ethics"- Summer faculty seminar pre-workshop
- August 18 - 24
GK Chesterton Institute at 2013 Rimini Meeting, Rimini, Italy: Chesterton Exhibit and "Man Alive" Stage Production
- August 19 - 22
"Value Ethics" Faculty Summer Seminar II /Praxis Pilot Seminar with Brian Cronin, SJ